Learn How to Manage Lotus Notes Database Size Exceeds Quota Limit
It happens a lot of time that Lotus Notes users open an email application and finds out IBM Lotus Notes database size exceeds quota limit. This is a frustrating moment for the users because, from onwards, they will not be able to store any more data in IBM Notes. At this point, the affected users start looking for solutions. Before going to solutions of this problem, users have to understand the reasons first.
Reasons of Lotus Notes Database Size Exceeds Quota Limit
There are different reasons for which users come across the issue of database size exceeding quota. Some of the reasons are:
1. Duplicate Emails Messages: Duplicate emails in IBM Notes account consume a lot of space and can lead to the IBM Notes database quota exceed.
2. Excess Graphic Elements: If you use heavy graphics features in your Lotus Notes email, they also possess a significant amount of space of the database.
3. Soft Deleted Messages: Sometimes users delete messages and think they have cleaned up the space of the database. Soft deleted emails are store is Trash, which is also a part of the IBM Notes database. In order to clean the database itself, emails have to be hard deleted, i.e. deleted permanently.
4. Unnecessary Saved Drafts: Various drafts that are never sent or used for future reference are liability for Notes database. They only contribute to filling IBM Notes database and nothing else.
Techniques to Manage Lotus Notes Database Size
Now that you have understood some of the reasons of Lotus Notes database size exceeds quota limit, solving this problem will be easy. If you are searching to know how to reduce Lotus Notes mailbox size, there are several options for you. Properly managing Lotus Notes email account can help to overcome this error ‘Lotus Notes your mail file has exceeded the warning size threshold’. We will discuss the techniques of overcoming this problem here.
Compact Lotus Notes Database
When we delete some large files and attachments from Lotus Notes, the database space becomes free. This free space, however, remains unusable. This unusable free space, also known as white space, is often the major cause of IBM Notes database size limit exceed. To avoid this situation, we can compact the database that will ultimately remove all the white space from the database. The method of compacting database are:
1. Open the mailbox of Lotus Notes.
2. Click File and then, select Database.
3. Here, select Properties from the drop down menu.
4. Now, Database Properties dialog box will appear. Click on the second tab of that box.
5. Click % button. You can see the current compression ratio now.
6. Click Compact if the percentage ‘%’ is less than 90%. Now the database will get compact.
Remove Unnecessary Emails
Removing unnecessary emails from IBM Lotus Notes account is the best way to keep the database free. Users should start this practice of deleting emails from both Inbox and Sent Items to free the database.
Managing Email Attachments
Large email attachments might be the reason IBM Notes database is running out of space. Delete emails with attachments that you do not require. In case of important attachments, you can always download them to your system first and then, delete. This will free database space.
Archive Rarely Used Documents
Archiving is another option then will benefit the users in terms of saving the database space. Emails, that we do not usually need but might become useful in future, can be archived instead of deleting. Lotus Notes frees the database and saves the archived files in a new storage location. This method can also resolve the problem ‘Lotus Notes database size exceeds quota limit’.
Disable Sent Items Auto-Save emails
Usually, every email we send get stored in the Sent Items automatically. By stopping this auto-saving option, we can prevent database size from exceeding and save only the required sent emails. To disable Sent Items auto-saving option, follow these steps:
1. Start Lotus Notes. Click on File option to select Preferences.
2. Now, select User Preferences >>click Mail.
3. Find out Save Mails That You Send option in the Sending section. From the drop down menu, select Always Prompt.
Delete Lotus Notes Old Attributes
The database of Lotus Notes stores other attributes like calendar entries, To-do lists, contacts, etc. They also occupy a good amount of database size. All the old attributes of Lotus Notes can be deleted easily to free up database space.
The methods mentioned above can be implemented to both prevent and solve the issue of Lotus Notes database size exceeds quota limit. However, if these methods are not sufficient to resolve the issue or if the problem keeps recurring, users can opt for a reliable & trustworthy tool to this problem. Programs like Lotus Notes NSF Split are useful to divide the Lotus Notes database into multiple parts and thus to increase the data storage capacity of the database.