Getting -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt in Exchange? Here’s a Fix
Microsoft Exchange Server is Microsoft’s email platform deployed on the Windows Server operating system for use within business enterprises and larger organizations. The Microsoft Exchange Server provides the best possible platform for the large business organizations but every now and then Exchange Administrators have to battle with the error JET_errLogFileCorrupt that does not allow them to mount data. This error occurs because the log file is not in healthy state and has become corrupted. The error occurs unexpectedly and generates the error message “error 501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt”. In this article, we will focus on the methods to fix the error.
Causes of error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt in Exchange Server
There are many unknown reasons for the occurrence of the error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt in Exchange Server but the main reason is the corrupted log files. The log files of Exchange Server get corrupted and is not able to write the transactions to the Exchange Database.
Apart from this, the error can also occur due to some data loss in Exchange Server, corrupted header section in log files or infected log files. The user is not allowed to mount the data due to this error.
Steps to check whether log file is corrupted or not
Before proceeding further with the methods to resolve Exchange error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt, you should check whether the log file is corrupted because the error can also occur due to a damaged and infected log file. This process does not require any automated tool and can be easily checked using an inbuilt command.
- Run the PowerShell.
- Run Eseutil inbuilt utility by typing a command: eseutil /ml Enn
Methods to fix Exchange Server error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt
The error can be resolved using manual method and automated tools. The following steps will illustrate the method how you can restore exchange server from backup
- Find the backup of your log files:- This is the very initial step of resolving Exchange Server error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt. Find the backup replica from the corrupted log file from the working backup file. If you do not have backup of your corrupted files, then you can use the third party tool to recover corrupt file using hard drive.
- Discard the corrupted files:- If you got the backup replica of the corrupted log files, then delete that corrupted log files from the Exchange Server database.
- Resolving deleted log files:- After deleting the corrupt log files from the Exchange Server, one should immediately restore the deleted files from the backup. When all the file is recovered the, a new temporary file restore.env will be generated every time. The restore.env file, thus generated will be resolved Exchange Server error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt from the logs.
- Run built-in ESEUTIL utility command:- Now, run the following command to recover/ regenerate your log files. The below-mentioned command will repair the damaged or corrupted log file and will delete the temporary file ‘restore.env’.
“Eseutil/cc” path of the restore.env”
The above-mentioned method will resolve error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt efficiently. The method is effective but it has its drawbacks too.
Drawbacks of the Manual Method
The method has some major drawbacks to fix Exchange error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt.
Some of them are mentioned below:-
1. While performing the above-mentioned task, you should at least have basic knowledge of Exchange Server Database to fix the error.
2. This manual method is complicated and tedious to execute.
3. The process is very time consuming and there is no assurance of recovery of a database.
4. If you do not have any backup replica of your corrupted file, then recovering hard disk from an external utility is a tough task.
Alternate Method to Fix -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt
The above-mentioned method is very time-consuming and requires knowledge of Exchange Server. So, you should try for an automated solution such as Exchange Log Analyzer to fix Exchange Server error -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt. It will carry out the recovery process superbly. The tool will fix corrupted log data and examine the log files.
The major reason for -501 JET_errLogFileCorrupt error is the corruption of log files. The inbuilt utilities can be used to fix the issue but have some limitations that’s why it is highly recommended to use a reliable tool as mentioned above because they provide quick results.