Fix ‘backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used’ Error
When working with crucial data, it’s very necessary to backup entire data which is stored in the system. In case of original data loss, one can restore their data from these backup files. Windows NT series uses NTBackup utility which is a very important tool that can backups entire data of the system. When needed, user can get back their data from the backup file to the desired location in the system. However, issue arises when, user encounters any error while restoring data from these files. The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used, is one of such errors that user can encounter while restoring NTBackup file created in Windows XP OS to Windows 7. In this article we will discuss the reasons that are responsible for error generation and its resolution.
- If user make attempts to restore backup file, that created in Windows XP/server 2003 using NTBackup utility in Windows 7, they will get the error “The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used” as Windows 7 does not support ntbackup.exe.
- The system will pop-ups the given below error message.
- When user is trying to restore their corrupt backup file in Windows XP, will results the same error, there could be any reason that causes corruption in the file such as virus attack, Software malfunction, damaged storage device, interrupted backup process, CRC error, etc.
- To resolve this issue, one can install Windows NTBackup utility in their Windows 7 machine.
For this, user must enable the Removable Storage Management feature on to run NTBackup. By successfully installing the utility on Windows 7 system, one can perform restoring process.
- User can also resolve backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used error by using external hard drive. In this case, one can copy backup file in external hard drive to “XPMuser” profile present in document and setting. Thereafter, user can run NTBackup utility to restore data from the backup file.
- To fix the problem, User can also download .dll files, NT5Backup.cab file along with NtBackup.exe to restore backup on any Windows Operating system other than NT series.
The above solutions probably works to tackle this error, but sometimes user still get the same error. In that case user can take help of third party software that can handle this issue. BKF File Recovery is a one such tool that can troubleshoot all types of error that users face with Backup file. It can fix error ‘Microsoft backup file contains unrecognized data’ within few clicks and makes the backup file accessible again. Users can test it’s validity through it’s available free demo version.